Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Green Soup Recipe


Sometimes I feel like I need a super dose of healthy, clean, crisp greens in a concentrated form. That's when I make Green Soup.

This recipe was inspired by Gwenyth Paltrow's GOOP Newsletter Detox recipe for Broccoli and Arugula Soup. You can see the original recipe here: http://goop.com/newsletter/15/

I basically use every green veggie I can find at my local CoOp and make a huge batch, part of which I freeze.

Use whatever veggies you feel your body craves ... and enjoy!

Green Soup Recipe:
Fresh broccoli 1 - 2 1bs
2 bunches of Kale - I use dinosaur and curly red
arugula - about 1/2 pound
garlic - 4 to 6 cloves
onion - 1 yellow
olive oil - 2 tbsp
zuchini - 2 large
Filtered water
Organic vegetable boullion - 4 cubes
Pepper - to taste

In a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and saute for a minute or two.
Add chopped carrots. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add Chopped zuchini. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add chopped broccoli - stems and all. Saute for 6 minutes covered.

Cover veggies with water. I like to add at least 3 inches above veggies.

Let come to boil.
Add Kale, bouillon and pepper.
Turn off burner and stir. Let sit for a minute or two.

Using a blender or Vitamix, laddle large chunks of veggies, broth, and some arugula.
Blend until smooth - but, I like it to still have texture.

Add this back into soup pot and stir.

Laddle more veggies, stock and arugula into blender and repeat process until you like the texture of your soup. I do not process all the chunky veggies. I like to have varying textures in my soup.

When desired product is reached, cover and let stand off the heat for 30 minutes.

Immediately freeze whatever portion you w.on't be eating in the first few days.

(photo from: istockphoto.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment