Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nutless Pesto

Decadent, flavorful ... a feast for the eyes, the nose and mouth ...

Pesto is a rich concentration of flavors that compliments almost all veggies, grains, pastas and proteins.

There are lots of vegan versions out there for those who shun dairy, but for those with nut sensitivities, a meal laden with the bright green saucy wonder can be tough to find.

I have been playing around with creating my own nutless pesto. I have a gorgeous fresh basil plant I have been nurturing just for this purpose! I actually used the sauce on my "C" salad the other night!

Moderation on this one guys ... pesto is a concentrated dose of calories due to the high oil content ...

Nutless Pesto Recipe: Makes about 4 tbsp

10 - 20 fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp Parmesan/Romano blend
1/2 to 1 clove fresh garlic (to your taste)
2 tbsp organic, unfiltered flax oil
2 - 4 tbsp water

Blend all ingredients ... starting with two tablespoons of water and adding more to desired consistency.

Enjoy!

(image from: istockphoto.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment