Monday, December 7, 2009
In honor of my visit to London, I must pay homage to the traditional English breakfast and give you some ideas for creating a healthy version at home.
According to Wiki, the breakfast consists of:
Scrambled eggs, sausage, black pudding, bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns and half a tomato. And don't forget the toast.
While completely delicious and fervently decadent, the meal pictured above is diet suicide. That is like a fat laden calorie bomb.
Try your own version of an English breakfast and still look damn good after eating it by subbing a few items. You don't HAVE to eat ALL of the items ... but, hey - use your long run or cycle as an excuse to majorly fuel up with this smorgasbord or deliciousness.
The Damn, I Look Good English Breakfast:
- 1 whole egg plus two to three egg whites scrambled (use non-stick cooking spray)
- 1 piece Canadian bacon or veggie sausage
- sauteed mushrooms and spinach (use non-stick spray and can add to the scrambled eggs)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup canned beans of your choice - seasoned with salt and pepper or mixed with pico de gallo or salsa
- half to whole tomato sliced
- 1 slice Ezekiel toast - dry (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 sweet potato grated and cooked in non-stick spray seasoned with salt and pepper (optional)
(photo from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast)