Thursday, June 10, 2010

Handling Injury


Almost two months ago, I was more than halfway through my usual daily Ashtanga Primary Series practice.

I was fully into Upavishta Konasana (wide angle forward fold), enjoying my five ujayii breaths, when suddenly I felt something in my hip/glute area - muscle or tendon ... or maybe fascia slide over the bone/joint and heard the most god awful pop/tear.

I calmly stopped my practice and limped into the kitchen where I immediately applied ice.

The next few days manifested an injury that felt like it emanated from the hip, but clearly involved the hamstring and hamstring insertion as well.

Ouch.

Needless to say my yoga practice has transformed since then.

I have maintained my practice as my teacher encouraged me to modify as necessary, but still get through my practice.

After about four weeks of heavily modified practice, I began to cross train.

Amazingly, I have been able to incorporate jogging, stepmill, cycling, elliptical, plyometrics and strength training into my regime.

The result ... two months later ... I am still not 100%, but am coming back stronger than ever. I have maintained my flexibility and built new found strength.

The lesson?

If I had better insurance, a doctor probably would have told me to rest for eight weeks. (I am not advocating NOT going to the doctor - I am merely stating that you should do what you instinctually know is good for your body. Maybe your body tells you to rest when you are injured.)

I can't imagine where I would be right now, had I done that.

I worked through and modified for my injury safely. I believe in another four weeks, I'll be better than ever!!

(image from: dreamstime.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment